Summer Undergraduate Research Program
About Our Program
The summer undergraduate research program at Barrow Neurological Institute is a paid, 10-to-12-week internship program in translational neuroscience research offered to undergraduate students from all colleges and universities, nationally and internationally. Students in the program work full time in a research laboratory under the mentorship of a Barrow scientist, actively participating in groundbreaking neuroscience research using the most advanced technologies and equipment.
Internships are available in basic science and disease-relevant neuroscience areas, including, but not exclusive to:
In addition to gaining hands on laboratory research experience, interns attend weekly research seminars, learn about career options in scientific fields, and present their research at the annual Barrow summer intern research symposium, either as an oral presentation or a scientific poster.
Interns from previous years have been able to use this internship to gain co-authorships on scientific abstracts and manuscripts, enrich their graduate and medical school applications, and foster scientific collaborations and friendships throughout their future careers.
You will need the following information when filling out your application. Please note that applications cannot be saved while in progress, so it is important that you have all of these items available before beginning the application process.
- Demographic information
- Employment eligibility
- Educational background, including overall GPA, science and math GPA, and expected graduation date
- A brief personal statement describing yourself, your career goals, your research interests, and your expectations of the program
- A brief description of any previous laboratory experience
- Up to six relevant math and science classes taken in high school. Please include AP designation, grade achieved, and semester and year taken
- A complete list of all collegiate science and math courses taken, including honors designation, grade achieved, the semester and year when the course was taken, and in the institution at which you completed the course
Hear from Past Interns
My internship with Barrow last summer was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Not only did I learn about the incredible impact that research can make on the world, but also found mentors and friends that inspired me to be the one to make that impact.Past Intern
I felt incredibly supported and encouraged throughout my internship, which motivated me to pursue my master’s degree and apply for PhDs. This internship also required me to present my finalized results, which significantly increased my confidence after receiving positive feedback and encouraged me to present at other conferences. Overall I developed valuable skills and knowledge relevant to my future career in academia and, as a student from the UK, I felt extremely comfortable while being away from home and also had the opportunity to explore Phoenix and elsewhere in Arizona!Past Intern