The Speech-Language Pathology Department at the Barrow Cleft and Craniofacial Center specializes in serving English and Spanish-speaking children and adults with speech and language disorders related to cleft and craniofacial conditions. Our speech-language pathologists also have extensive experience treating:
- Speech and resonance disorders
- Velopharyngeal dysfunction
- Velopharyngeal insufficiency/incompetence (VPI)
Services are offered to patients and families as a part of their comprehensive care with an interdisciplinary team including:
- Plastic and craniofacial surgery
The cleft and craniofacial teams at at our center are recognized by the Commission on Approval of Teams through the American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association. Our speech-language pathologists offer individualized evaluations that are based on the patient’s diagnosis and needs and developed according to the best evidence based practices. All of our speech professionals have certificates of clinical competence from the American Speech and Hearing Association and are active members of the American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association and the Arizona Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Services are provided in English or Spanish directly and interpreters are utilized for assessment in any other language.
After an initial evaluation, a treatment plan will be established for the patient and will focus on improving skills in the necessary areas of communication and feeding. Some of the specific areas may include
Our department has a relationship with the Department of Speech and Hearing Science in the College of Health Solutions at Arizona State University. We also participate in clinical research projects focused on outcomes that are meaningful to our patients and also help to contribute to general knowledge.
Speech-Language Pathology Guides
These guides can help you care for your child after cleft lip and cleft palate surgery and also help you with recommended speech activities to implement at home.
- Post-Operative Feeding Guidelines Following Palate Re-Repair
- Post-Operative Feeding Guidelines Following Palate Repair
- Post-Operative Feeding Guidelines Following Lip Repair for Infants with Cleft Lip Only
- Post-Operative Feeding Guidelines Following Lip Repair for Infants with Cleft Lip and Palate
- Post-Operative Feeding Guidelines Following Lip Repair for Infants with Cleft Lip and Alveolus (Gum Line)
- Parent Education-Early Speech and Language Development and Recommendations for Children with Cleft Palate
- Directrices de alimentación posoperatoria luego de la reparación labial para bebés con labio hendido únicamente
- Directrices de alimentación posoperatoria luego de la reparación labial para bebés con fisura labio alvéolo palatina (línea de la encía)
- Directrices de alimentación posoperatoria luego de la reparación del paladar hendido
- Directrices de alimentación posoperatoria luego de la reparación del labio para bebés con labio y paladar hendido
Request an Appointment
Call (602) 406-3055