Jay Turner, MD, PhD, received his BS in biology at The College of New Jersey in Ewing, and doctorate of medicine and PhD in physiology at Rutgers University in Newark, New Jersey.
Dr. Turner joined Barrow Neurological Institute at Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix as a neurosurgeon after completing his neurosurgery residency at Barrow. During his training, he developed an interest in spinal deformities and complex spinal reconstructions. He completed fellowships in complex spine surgery in San Diego, California, and Zurich, Switzerland. His fellowship training specifically focused on scoliosis, spinal deformity, spinal tumors, and minimally invasive surgical techniques.
Dr. Turner is a member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, the AANS/CNS Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves, the Scoliosis Research Society, the North American Spine Society, and the Society of Lateral Access Surgery.
Please call (602) 406-3181 to request an appointment with Dr. Turner.
- Residency, Barrow Neurological Institute, Neurosurgery
- Fellowship, San Diego Spine Fellowship Program, Complex Spine Surgery
- Fellowship, Schulthess Klinik, Complex Spine Surgery
- MD, Rutgers – New Jersey Medical School
- PhD, Rutgers – New Jersey Medical School, Physiology
- BS, The College of New Jersey, Biology
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
- AANS/CNS Joint Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves
- Scoliosis Research Society (SRS)
- North American Spine Society (NASS)
- Society of Lateral Access Surgery (SOLAS)
- Cahill Fellowship, AANS/CNS Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves
- Spinal Defomrity Fellowship Award, Nuvasive
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA), Inductee
- Research Award, Alpha Omega Alpha, Beta Chapter
- The Merck Manual Award, New Jersey Medical School
- The Anna Amorosa Scholarship, New Jersey Medical School
- The Dr. George Hill and Drf. Helene Hill Endowed Scholarship, New Jersey Medical School
- The Dr. Kurt A. Heinrich Memorial Endowed Scholarship, New Jersey Medical School
- NJMS Alumni Association Award
- NJMS Alumni Association Award
- Beta Beta Beta, Biological Honor Society
- Turner JD, Sonntag VH. Evolution of cervical spine deformity surgery and ongoing challenges. World Neurosurg. Jun 28 2016.
- Turner JD, Eastlack RK, Mirzadeh Z, Nguyen S, Pawelek J, Mundis GM, Jr. Fluctuations in Spinal Cord Perfusion During Adult Spinal Deformity Correction Identify Neurologic Changes: Proof of Concept. World Neurosurg. Jan 2016;85:365 e361-366.
- Martirosyan NL, Eschbacher JM, Kalani MY, Turner JD, Belykh E, Spetzler RF, Nakaji P, Preul MC. Prospective evaluation of the utility of intraoperative confocal laser endomicroscopy in patients with brain neoplasms using fluorescein sodium: experience with 74 cases. Neurosurg Focus. Mar 2016;40(3):E11.
- Martinez-Del-Campo E, Turner JD, Soriano-Baron H, Newcomb AG, Kalb S, Theodore N. Pediatric occipitocervical fusion: long-term radiographic changes in curvature, growth, and alignment. J Neurosurg Pediatr. Jul 29 2016:1-9.
- Martinez-Del-Campo E, Turner JD, Rangel-Castilla L, Soriano-Baron H, Kalb S, Theodore N. Pediatric occipitocervical fixation: radiographic criteria, surgical technique, and clinical outcomes based on experience of a single surgeon. J Neurosurg Pediatr. Jun 10 2016:1-11.
- Martinez-Del-Campo E, Turner JD, Kalb S, Rangel-Castilla L, Perez-Orribo L, Soriano-Baron H, Theodore N. Occipitocervical Fixation: A Single Surgeon’s Experience With 120 Patients. Neurosurgery. Jul 14 2016.
- Martinez-Del-Campo E, Kalb S, Soriano-Baron H, Turner JD, Neal MT, Uschold T, Theodore N. Computed tomography parameters for atlantooccipital dislocation in adult patients: the occipital condyle-C1 interval. J Neurosurg Spine. Apr 2016;24(4):535-545.
- Godzik J, Kakarla UK, Turner JD. Age-Based Tailoring of Adult Spinal Deformity Alignment Goals. World Neurosurg. Jun 25 2016.
- Turner JD, Walker CT, Mundis GM, Jr., Kakarla UK. Health Burden of Adult Spinal Deformity Compared with Other Chronic Diseases. World Neurosurg. Oct 2015;84(4):876-877.
- Turner JD, Akbarnia BA, Eastlack RK, Bagheri R, Nguyen S, Pimenta L, Marco R, Deviren V, Uribe J, Mundis GM, Jr. Radiographic outcomes of anterior column realignment for adult sagittal plane deformity: a multicenter analysis. Eur Spine J. Apr 2015;24 Suppl 3:427-432.