Michelle Felicella, MD, is a neuropathologist and surgical pathologist at Barrow Neurological Institute. She is board certified in neuropathology by the American Board of Pathology.
Dr. Felicella’s expertise includes the pathological diagnosis of brain and spinal tumors, vascular malformations, and neurodegenerative and neuromuscular disorders. She is a member of the American Association of Neuropathologists, the American Society for Clinical Pathology, the College of American Pathologists, the Society for Neuro-Oncology, and the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology.
Dr. Felicella completed her residency in anatomic and clinical pathology at University of Vermont Medical Center, a clinical fellowship in neuropathology at the University of California–San Francisco (UCSF), and a research fellowship in neuropathology at the UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Dr. Felicella’s research interests include molecular genomics of central nervous system tumors and new clinical applications of diagnostic and prognostic markers in the laboratory.
- Research Fellowship, University of California–San Francisco, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, Neuropathology, 2011-2012
- Clinical Fellowship, University of California–San Francisco, Neuropathology, 2010-2011
- Residency, University of Vermont Medical Center, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, 2006-2010
- MD, University of Vermont, Larner College of Medicine, 2006
- BS, Randolph-Macon Woman’s College, Chemistry, 2001
- American Association of Neuropathologists
- American Society for Clinical Pathology
- College of American Pathologists
- Society for Neuro-Oncology
- United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Carbee Award for Academic Excellence in Obstetrics, University of Vermont, 2006
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, University of Vermont, Larner College of Medicine, 2005
- James Lewis Howe Award in Chemistry, Randolph-Macon Woman’s College, 2001
- Outstanding Senior Chemistry Award, Randolph-Macon Woman’s College, 2001
- Phi Beta Kappa, Randolph-Macon Woman’s College, 2001
- Analytical Chemistry Award, American Chemical Society, 2001
- Una Burton Chemistry Scholarship, Randolph-Macon Woman’s College, 1999-2001
- Iota Sigma Pi, National Honor Society for Women in Chemistry, Randolph-Macon Woman’s College, 1999
- Polymer Education Award for Organic Chemistry, American Chemical Society, Division of Organic Chemistry, 1999
- CRC Press Freshman Chemistry Achievement Award, CRC Press, 1998
- All-Conference Academic Award, NCAA Swimming, 1998-2001
- Trustee Academic Scholarship, Randolph-Macon Woman’s College, 1997-2001
- Leeper H, Felicella MM, Walbert T. Recent advances in the classification and treatment of ependymomas. Curr Treat Options Oncol. 2017;18(9):55.
- Basheer A, Rammo R, Kalkanis S, Felicella MM, Chedid M. Multifocal intradural extramedullary pilocytic astrocytomas of the spinal cord: a case report and review of the literature. Neurosurgery. 2017;80(2):E178-E184.
- Singh J, Olle B, Suhail H, Felicella MM, Giri S. Metformin-induced mitochondrial function and ABCD2 up-regulation in X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy involves AMP-activated protein kinase. J Neurochem. 2016;138(1):86-100.
- Gulati R, Alkhatib Y, Donthireddy V, Felicella MM, Menon MP, Inamdar KV. Isolated ocular manifestation of relapsed chronic myelogenous leukemia presenting as myeloid blast crisis in a patient on imatinib therapy: a case report and review of the literature. Case Rep Pathol. 2015;2015:380451.
- Venneti S, Santi M, Felicella MM, Yarilin D, Phillips JJ, Sullivan LM, Martinez D, Perry A, Lewis PW, Thompson CB, Judkins AR. A sensitive and specific histopathologic prognostic marker for H3F3A K27M mutant pediatric glioblastomas. Acta Neuropathol. 2014;128(5):743-753.
- Venneti S, Felicella MM, Coyne T, Phillips JJ, Gorovets D, Huse JT, Kofler J, Lu C, Tihan T, Sullivan LM, Santi M, Judkins AR, Perry A, Thompson CB. Histone 3 lysine 9 trimethylation is differentially associated with isocitrate dehydrogenase mutations in oligodendrogliomas and high-grade astrocytomas. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2013;72(4):298-306.
- Tanboon J, Felicella MM, Bilbao J, Mainprize T, Perry A. Probable IgG4-related pachymeningitis: a case with transverse sinus obliteration. Clin Neuropathol. 2013;32(4):291-297.
- Kaur G, Kane AJ, Sughrue ME, Madden M, Oh MC, Sun MZ, Safaee M, El-Sayed I, Aghi M, McDermott MW, Berger MS, Parsa AT. The prognostic implications of Hyam’s subtype for patients with Kadish stage C esthesioneuroblastoma. J Clin Neurosci. 2013;20(2):281-286.
- Joseph NM, Phillips J, Dahiya S, Felicella MM, Tihan T, Brat DJ, Perry A. Diagnostic implications of IDH1-R132H and OLIG2 expression patterns in rare and challenging glioblastoma variants. Mod Pathol. 2013;26(3):315-326.
- Felicella MM, Hagenkord JM, Kash SF, Powers MP, Berger MS, Perry A. A common 8q (MYC) amplification detected in a multifocal anaplastic astrocytoma by SNP array karyotyping. Clin Neuropathol. 2012;31(4):210-215.