Scott Kreiner, MD, is a neurophysiatrist and back pain specialist at Barrow Neurological Institute. He is board certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation, as well as sports medicine, by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
Dr. Kreiner’s expertise includes interventional spine procedures for the management of back pain, particularly after sports-related injuries. He is the clinical research chair for the North American Spine Society and a member of the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and the Spine Intervention Society.
Dr. Kreiner earned his medical degree from the University of Arizona College of Medicine. He completed his residency in physical medicine and rehabilitation at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
Dr. Kreiner’s research interests include sports-related injuries, vertebral compression fractures, and interventional spine procedures.
- Residency, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 1996-1999
- Internship, Tucson Health Medical Education Program, Preliminary Medicine, 1995-1996
- MD, University of Arizona, College of Medicine, 1995
- BS, University of Arizona, Biomechanical Engineering Program, Mechanical Engineering, 1990
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- North American Spine Society
- Spine Intervention Society
- Clinical Research Chair, Board of Directors, North American Spine Society
- Member, Standards Committee, Spine Intervention Society
- Rathmell JP, Benzon HT, Dreyfuss P, Huntoon M, Wallace M, Baker R, Riew KD, Rosenquist RW, Aprill C, Rost NS, Buvanendran A, Kreiner DS, Bogduk N, Fourney DR, Fraifeld E, Horn S, Stone J, Vorenkamp K, Lawler G, Summers J, Kloth D, O’Brien D, Jr., Tutton S. Safeguards to prevent neurologic complications after epidural steroid injections: consensus opinions from a multidisciplinary working group and national organizations. Anesthesiology. 2015;122(5):974-984.
- Kennedy DJ, Engel A, Kreiner DS, Nampiaparampil D, Duszynski B, MacVicar J. Fluoroscopically guided diagnostic and therapeutic intra-articular sacroiliac joint injections: a systematic review. Pain Med. 2015;16(8):1500-1518.
- Cho CH, Ghogawala Z, Matz P, Kreiner DS, Reitman C. Letter to the editor in response to: “A critical appraisal of the North American Spine Society guidelines with the Appraisal of Guidelines for Research and Evaluation II instrument.” Spine J. 2015;15(10):2300-2301.
- Kreiner DS, MacVicar J, Duszynski B, Nampiaparampil DE. The mild procedure: a systematic review of the current literature. Pain Med. 2014;15(2):196-205.
- Kreiner DS, Hwang SW, Easa JE, Resnick DK, Baisden JL, Bess S, Cho CH, DePalma MJ, Dougherty P, 2nd, Fernand R, Ghiselli G, Hanna AS, Lamer T, Lisi AJ, Mazanec DJ, Meagher RJ, Nucci RC, Patel RD, Sembrano JN, Sharma AK, Summers JT, Taleghani CK, Tontz WL, Jr., Toton JF, North American Spine S. An evidence-based clinical guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of lumbar disc herniation with radiculopathy. Spine J. 2014;14(1):180-191.
- Kreiner DS, Baisden J, Gilbert T, Shaffer WO, Summers JT. Re: Diagnostic tests the NASS stenosis guidelines. Spine J. 2014;14(1):201-202.
- Kreiner DS, Shaffer WO, Baisden JL, Gilbert TJ, Summers JT, Toton JF, Hwang SW, Mendel RC, Reitman CA, North American Spine S. An evidence-based clinical guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of degenerative lumbar spinal stenosis (update). Spine J. 2013;13(7):734-743.
- Bono CM, Ghiselli G, Gilbert TJ, Kreiner DS, Reitman C, Summers JT, Baisden JL, Easa J, Fernand R, Lamer T, Matz PG, Mazanec DJ, Resnick DK, Shaffer WO, Sharma AK, Timmons RB, Toton JF, North American Spine S. An evidence-based clinical guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of cervical radiculopathy from degenerative disorders. Spine J. 2011;11(1):64-72.
- Watters WC, 3rd, Gilbert TJ, Kreiner DS. Diagnosing lumbar spinal stenosis. JAMA. 2010;303(15):1479; author reply 1480-1471.
- Watters WC, 3rd, Bono CM, Gilbert TJ, Kreiner DS, Mazanec DJ, Shaffer WO, Baisden J, Easa JE, Fernand R, Ghiselli G, Heggeness MH, Mendel RC, O’Neill C, Reitman CA, Resnick DK, Summers JT, Timmons RB, Toton JF, North American Spine S. An evidence-based clinical guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis. Spine J. 2009;9(7):609-614.