Dr. Surasak Phuphanich is a neuro-oncologist at Barrow Neurological Institute. He is board certified in neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
Dr. Phuphanich’s expertise is in neuro-oncology. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Neurology and is a member of the American Association for Cancer Research, the Society for Neuro-Oncology, and the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. Phuphanich earned his medical degree from Mahidol University in Bangkok, Thailand. He completed his residency training in neurology at University of Illinois Hospital in Chicago and completed a clinical research fellowship in neuro-oncology at University of California, San Francisco.
His research interests include vaccine immunotherapy, nanoparticles to improve drug delivery, drug discovery with a focus on new immunomodulation and targeted therapeutic agents, and proteinomic and genomic profiling for personalized neuro-oncology medicine.
To request an appointment with Dr. Phuphanich, please call (602) 406-6262.
Fax: (602) 406-6261
- Fellowship, University of California, San Francisco, Neuro-Oncology, 1981-1983
- Residency, University of Illinois Hospital, Neurology, 1978-1981
- Residency, Saint Francis Hospital, Internal Medicine, 1977-1978
- Internship, Mahidol University, Ramathibodi Hospital, Internal Medicine and Psychiatry, 1975-1977
- MD, Mahidol University, Ramathibodi Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, 1975
- BS, Mahidol University, Faculty of Science, 1973
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Society for Neuro-Oncology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Academy of Neurology
- Best Doctors, Best Doctors Inc., 2011-2014
- Top Doctors for Southern California, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., 2012-2013
- Top Doctor for Cancer, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., 2009-2015
- Top American Oncologist Award, Consumers’ Research Council of America, 2009-2012
- Patients’ Choice Award (MDS Medical Inc.)
- Top Doctor, Atlanta Magazine, July 2007
- Top American Physicians Award, Consumers’ Research Council of America, 2006
- Top Doctor for Cancer, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., 2006
- Georgia Cancer Coalition Distinguished Clinical Investigator Professional Award, 2004-2007
- Recipient of NABTT Award for “Best Accrual to Clinical Trial,” 2005
- Recipient of NABTT Award for “Best Quality of Data Management,” 2005
- Twenty Years of Continuous Service Award, University of South Florida, College of Medicine, 2003
- Recipient of NABTT Award for “Best Accrual to Clinical Trial,” 2003-2004
- Recipient of NABTT Award for “Best Accrual to Clinical Trial,” 2001-2002
- Scholar-Scientist Award, University of South Florida, College of Medicine, Department of Neurology, 2001-2002
- Recipient of NABTT Award for “Best Accrual to Clinical Trial” and “Best Quality of Data,” 1998-1999
- Scholar-Scientist Award, University of South Florida, College of Medicine, Department of Neurology, 1997-1998
- Clinician/Scholar of the Year Award, University of South Florida, College of Medicine, Department of Neurology, 1996
- Dedicated Service Award, University of South Florida, College of Medicine, Department of Neurology and H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 1996
- Marquis Who’s Who in the World, 1995
- Marquis Who’s Who in the South and Southwest, 1994
- Neuro-Oncology Award, Department of Neurology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, 1993
- Who’s Who Among Rising Young Americans, 1992
- Special Award, Founding Physician, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, 1986
- Marquis Who’s Who, Directory of Medical Specialists, 1984
- Research Fellowship Award, Association of Brain Tumor Research, 1982, 1984
- Fellowship Award, American Cancer Society, 1982, 1983
- National Scholastic Achievement Award, King of Thailand, 1969
- Raizer JJ, Giglio P, Hu J, Groves M, Merrell R, Conrad C, Phuphanich S, Puduvalli VK, Loghin M, Paleologos N, Yuan Y, Liu D, Rademaker A, Yung WK, Vaillant B, Rudnick J, Chamberlain M, Vick N, Grimm S, Tremont-Lukats IW, De Groot J, Aldape K, Gilbert MR, Brain Tumor Trials C. A phase II study of bevacizumab and erlotinib after radiation and temozolomide in MGMT unmethylated GBM patients. J Neurooncol. 2016;126(1):185-192.
- Drazin D, Al-Khouja L, Patel A, Hu J, Phuphanich S. Long-term remission over six years for a patient with recurrent glioblastoma treated with cediranib/lomustine. Cureus. 2016;8(1):e460.
- Reardon DA, Nabors LB, Mason WP, Perry JR, Shapiro W, Kavan P, Mathieu D, Phuphanich S, Cseh A, Fu Y, Cong J, Wind S, Eisenstat DD, Group BIT, the Canadian Brain Tumour C. Phase I/randomized phase II study of afatinib, an irreversible ErbB family blocker, with or without protracted temozolomide in adults with recurrent glioblastoma. Neuro Oncol. 2015;17(3):430-439.
- Norden AD, Ligon KL, Hammond SN, Muzikansky A, Reardon DA, Kaley TJ, Batchelor TT, Plotkin SR, Raizer JJ, Wong ET, Drappatz J, Lesser GJ, Haidar S, Beroukhim R, Lee EQ, Doherty L, Lafrankie D, Gaffey SC, Gerard M, Smith KH, McCluskey C, Phuphanich S, Wen PY. Phase II study of monthly pasireotide LAR (SOM230C) for recurrent or progressive meningioma. Neurology. 2015;84(3):280-286.
- Chamberlain MC, Grimm S, Phuphanich S, Recht L, Zhu JZ, Kim L, Rosenfeld S, Fadul CE, Brain Tumor Investigational C. A phase 2 trial of verubulin for recurrent glioblastoma: a prospective study by the Brain Tumor Investigational Consortium (BTIC). J Neurooncol. 2014;118(2):335-343.
- Saria MG, Corle C, Hu J, Rudnick JD, Phuphanich S, Mrugala MM, Crew LK, Bota DA, Dan Fu B, Kim RY, Brown T, Feely H, Brechlin J, Brown BD, Drappatz J, Wen PY, Chen CC, Carter B, Lee JW, Kesari S. Retrospective analysis of the tolerability and activity of lacosamide in patients with brain tumors: clinical article. J Neurosurg. 2013;118(6):1183-1187.
- Phuphanich S, Wheeler CJ, Rudnick JD, Mazer M, Wang H, Nuno MA, Richardson JE, Fan X, Ji J, Chu RM, Bender JG, Hawkins ES, Patil CG, Black KL, Yu JS. Phase I trial of a multi-epitope-pulsed dendritic cell vaccine for patients with newly diagnosed glioblastoma. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2013;62(1):125-135.
- Peereboom DM, Ahluwalia MS, Ye X, Supko JG, Hilderbrand SL, Phuphanich S, Nabors LB, Rosenfeld MR, Mikkelsen T, Grossman SA, New Approaches to Brain Tumor Therapy C. NABTT 0502: a phase II and pharmacokinetic study of erlotinib and sorafenib for patients with progressive or recurrent glioblastoma multiforme. Neuro Oncol. 2013;15(4):490-496.
- Batchelor TT, Mulholland P, Neyns B, Nabors LB, Campone M, Wick A, Mason W, Mikkelsen T, Phuphanich S, Ashby LS, Degroot J, Gattamaneni R, Cher L, Rosenthal M, Payer F, Jurgensmeier JM, Jain RK, Sorensen AG, Xu J, Liu Q, van den Bent M. Phase III randomized trial comparing the efficacy of cediranib as monotherapy, and in combination with lomustine, versus lomustine alone in patients with recurrent glioblastoma. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31(26):3212-3218.
- Drazin D, Rosner J, Shirzadi A, Phuphanich S. Postpartum extracranial bilateral vertebral artery dissection mimicking subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurologist. 2012;18(3):149-151.