Thomas Sitzman, MD, is a plastic surgeon in the Cleft and Craniofacial Center at Barrow Neurological Institute. He is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Dr. Sitzman’s expertise includes the surgical treatment of cleft lip, cleft palate, and velopharyngeal insufficiency (VPI). He is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association, the Association for Academic Surgery, and the Society for Pediatric Research.
Dr. Sitzman earned his medical degree from Duke University and his master’s degree in public health from Harvard University. He completed his residency in plastic and reconstructive surgery at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and he completed a fellowship in pediatric plastic surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children.
Dr. Sitzman’s research interests include evaluating outcomes of cleft lip and palate surgical care, implementing evidence-based strategies in cleft lip and palate care, and identifying optimal treatment strategies for VPI.
To request an appointment at the Barrow Cleft and Craniofacial Center, please call (602) 406-3560.
- Fellowship, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Pediatric Hand Surgery, 2015
- MPH, Harvard University, T.H. Chan School of Public Health, 2015
- Fellowship, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Pediatric Plastic Surgery, 2011-2012
- Residency, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2006-2011
- MD, Duke University, School of Medicine, 2006
- BA, University of Virginia, 2001
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association
- Association for Academic Surgery
- Society for Pediatric Research
- American Association for Hand Surgery
- Operation Smile International Scholar, Plastic Surgery Foundation, 2016
- Outstanding Resident Educator Award, University of Wisconsin, Department of Surgery, 2010
- Echols Scholar, University of Virginia, 1997-2001
- Thompson JA, Heaton PC, Kelton CM, Sitzman TJ. National Estimates of and Risk Factors for Inpatient Revision Surgeries for Orofacial Clefts. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2017;54(1):60-69.
- Mercan E, Oestreich M, Fisher DM, Allori AC, Beals SP, Samson TD, Sitzman TJ, Matic DB, Siebold BS, Tse RW. Objective Assessment of the Unilateral Cleft Lip Nasal Deformity Using 3D Stereophotogrammetry: Severity and Outcome. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017.
- Manahan MA, Wooden WA, Becker SM, Cacioppo JR, Edge SB, Grandinetti AC, Gray DD, Holley SO, Karp NS, Kocak E, Rao R, Rosson GD, Schwartz JS, Sitzman TJ, Soltanian HT, TerKonda SP, Wallace AM. Evidence-Based Performance Measures: Quality Metrics for the Care of Patients Undergoing Breast Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140(6):775e-781e.
- Busam KJ, Shah KN, Gerami P, Sitzman T, Jungbluth AA, Kinsler V. Reduced H3K27me3 Expression Is Common in Nodular Melanomas of Childhood Associated With Congenital Melanocytic Nevi But Not in Proliferative Nodules. Am J Surg Pathol. 2017;41(3):396-404.
- Allori AC, Kelley T, Meara JG, Albert A, Bonanthaya K, Chapman K, Cunningham M, Daskalogiannakis J, de Gier H, Heggie AA, Hernandez C, Jackson O, Jones Y, Kangesu L, Koudstaal MJ, Kuchhal R, Lohmander A, Long RE, Jr., Magee L, Monson L, Rose E, Sitzman TJ, Taylor JA, Thorburn G, van Eeden S, Williams C, Wirthlin JO, Wong KW. A Standard Set of Outcome Measures for the Comprehensive Appraisal of Cleft Care. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2017;54(5):540-554.
- Sitzman TJ, Coyne SM, Britto MT. The Burden of Care for Children With Unilateral Cleft Lip: A Systematic Review of Revision Surgery. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2016;53(4):84-94.
- Sitzman TJ, Allori AC, Matic DB, Beals SP, Fisher DM, Samson TD, Marcus JR, Tse R, The Americleft Task Force Surgeon Subgroup. The Americleft Task Force Surgeon S. Reliability of Oronasal Fistula Classification. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2016.
- Sitzman TJ, Sillah NM, Hanson SE, Gentry LR, Doyle JF, Gutowski KA. Validation of Clinical Criteria for Obtaining Maxillofacial Computed Tomography in Patients With Trauma. J Craniofac Surg. 2015;26(4):1199-1202.
- Sitzman TJ, Mara CA, Long RE, Jr., Daskalogiannakis J, Russell KA, Mercado AM, Hathaway RR, Carle AC, Semb G, Shaw WC. The Americleft Project: Burden of Care from Secondary Surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2015;3(7):e442.
- Sitzman TJ, Allori AC, Thorburn G. Measuring Outcomes in Cleft Lip and Palate Treatment. Clin Plast Surg. 2014;41(2):311-319.