Tsinsue Chen, MD, is a neurosurgeon in the Department of Neurosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute.
Dr. Chen’s expertise includes deep brain stimulation for the treatment of movement disorders; functional neurosurgery; and the surgical treatment of trigeminal neuralgia, hemifacial spasm, and other facial pain syndromes. She also treats brain tumors, spinal tumors, spinal stenosis, and cervical and lumbar disc disease. Dr. Chen is a member of the American Association for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, the Arizona Neurosurgical Society, the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, and the World Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery.
Dr. Chen earned her medical degree from the University of California-San Diego School of Medicine. She completed her neurosurgical residency at Barrow Neurological Institute, and she received her fellowship training in stereotactic and functional neurosurgery at Barrow and at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Queen Square, London, England.
Dr. Chen’s research interests focus on advanced techniques as well as quality-of-life improvement and outcomes after deep brain stimulation for movement disorders and other emerging indications. Her philosophy of care is to provide the highest quality of care and compassion to every patient she sees. In her free time, Dr. Chen enjoys yoga, running, and hiking with her husband and son.
To request an appointment with Dr. Chen, please call (480) 917-5600.
- Residency, Barrow Neurological Institute, Neurosurgery, 2011-2018
- Fellowship, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Functional Neurosurgery, 2016-2017
- Fellowship, Barrow Neurological Institute, Functional Neurosurgery, 2016
- MD, University of California-San Diego, School of Medicine, 2011
- BS, University of California-San Diego, Biochemistry and Cell Biology, 2007
- American Association for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Arizona Neurosurgical Society
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- World Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
- Young Neurosurgeons Liaison, Stereotactic and Functional Executive Committee, American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 2018-present
- Young Neurosurgeons Liaison, Pain Executive Committee, American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 2018-present
- Member, Young Neurosurgeons Committee, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 2017-present
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2011-present
- Czech Duck Neurosurgery Research Award, 2011
- Prather Endowed Student Award, University of California-San Diego, 2010
- Outstanding Senior Award, Thurgood Marshall Alumni Association, University of California-San Diego, 2007
- Zhou JJ, Chen T, Farber SH, Shetter AG, Ponce FA. Open-loop deep brain stimulation for the treatment of epilepsy: a systematic review of clinical outcomes over the past decade (2008-present). Neurosurg Focus. 2018;45(2):E5.
- Xu DS, Chen T, Hlubek RJ, Bristol RE, Smith KA, Ponce FA, Kerrigan JF, Nakaji P. Magnetic resonance imaging-guided laser interstitial thermal therapy for the treatment of hypothalamic hamartomas: A retrospective review. Neurosurgery. 2018.
- Chen T, Mirzadeh Z, Chapple KM, Lambert M, Shill HA, Moguel-Cobos G, Tröster AI, Dhall R, Ponce FA. Clinical outcomes following awake and asleep deep brain stimulation for Parkinson disease. J Neurosurg. 2018:1-12.
- Chen T, Mirzadeh Z, Ponce FA. “Asleep” deep brain stimulation surgery: A critical review of the literature. World Neurosurg. 2017;105:191-198.
- Chen T, Mirzadeh Z, Lambert M, Gonzalez O, Moran A, Shetter AG, Ponce FA. Cost of deep brain stimulation infection resulting in explantation. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 2017;95(2):117-124.
- Chen T, Mirzadeh Z, Chapple KM, Lambert M, Evidente VGH, Moguel-Cobos G, Oravivattanakul S, Mahant P, Ponce FA. Intraoperative test stimulation versus stereotactic accuracy as a surgical end point: a comparison of essential tremor outcomes after ventral intermediate nucleus deep brain stimulation. J Neurosurg. 2017:1-9.
- Chen T, Mirzadeh Z, Chapple K, Lambert M, Ponce FA. Complication rates, lengths of stay, and readmission rates in “awake” and “asleep” deep brain simulation. J Neurosurg. 2017;127(2):360-369.
- Chen T, Kalani MY, Ducruet AF, Albuquerque FC, McDougall CG. Development of syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH) after Onyx embolisation of a cavernous carotid fistula. J Neurointerv Surg. 2017;9(1):e3.
- Chen T, Mirzadeh Z, Chapple K, Lambert M, Dhall R, Ponce FA. “Asleep” deep brain stimulation for essential tremor. J Neurosurg. 2016;124(6):1842-1849.
- Chen F, Chen T, Nakaji P. Adjustment of the endoscopic third ventriculostomy entry point based on the anatomical relationship between coronal and sagittal sutures. J Neurosurg. 2013;118(3):510-513.