Biotechnology and Applied Technology Translation Laboratory
Mark Preul, MD
Newsome Endowed Chair of Neurosurgery Research
Barrow Neurological Institute
- Perform testing and development with companies or other institutions producing and developing new medical technology with support of cadaver tissue and animal surgery.
- Direct conferences, smaller courses and teaching sessions, corporate-sponsored functions, or Barrow neurosurgery department events held at national and international meetings.
- Focus and coordinate efforts in neurosurgery research at Barrow Neurological Institute and St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center.
- Plan, supervise, coordinate, and expedite the research efforts of neurosurgery residents, fellows, and visiting scholars while on research rotations.
- Conduct research projects with other departments including neurobiology, neuro-oncology, neurology, neurochemistry, neuroradiology, trauma, cardiology, cardiac surgery and pediatrics.
- Support and collaboration with academic institutions, bioengineering, support for industry (small and large companies).
Available Facility Services
- 10-station surgery or cadaver teaching laboratory
- Sterile operating suite
- Dedicated endovascular surgery laboratory
- Full performance and support for sterile animal surgery Individual training
- Full cadaver tissue capabilities
- Pre-clinical testing
- FDA study support/product and technology testing in various disciplines
- Complete cadaver preservation, cerebrovascular infusion, and anatomical dissection laboratory
Full operative instrumentation, including microinstrumentation and power instruments
Full operative physiological data recording
In the News
Laboratory Team Members
- Brian Kelly, PhD (Principal Investigator, Spinal Biomechanics Laboratory)
- William Bichard (Clinical Coordinator)
- Research Fellows, Graduate Students, Medical Students
- Vivarium – Tim Martin, DVM, MBA and staff
Located near the I-10 and I-17 Freeways, Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center is about a 20-minute cab ride from Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix and a 30-minute drive from Scottsdale Airport.
Note: The external website links are provided for your convenience only. Barrow Neurological Institute does not necessarily endorse the views expressed or the facts presented on the site, nor is responsible for the content on the site in any way.
William Bichard and Mariah Philips