About Our Program
The Neuro-Otology and Balance Disorders Program at Barrow is one of about 20 programs of its kind at academic institutions in the United States. We evaluate many conditions that can affect equilibrium and balance and conditions that cause vertigo, nystagmus, dizziness, unexplained fainting, and falling.
Because these conditions can have many possible causes, some patients are seen by several specialists before referral to Barrow. We accept referrals from all over the nation from neurologists, otolaryngologists, surgical neurotologists, otologists, neurosurgeons, cardiologists, primary care physicians, and others.
The Barrow Difference
Since 1994, our program has offered the most comprehensive team of balance disorder specialists in Arizona. We are one of the only medical centers in the state that offers subspecialized care for people with dizziness, vertigo, and balance disorders.
Experience in Common and Rare Conditions
Barrow is the place to come when you need answers. We consider all possible causes of dizziness and balance disorders, both common and rare. If a cause can be found, our experts will find it. Our balance disorder specialists are experienced in the following conditions:
- Acoustic Neuroma (Vestibular Schwannoma)
- Autoimmune Inner Ear Disease (AIED)
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Bilateral Vestibulopathy
- Cerebellar Ataxias, Episodic Ataxias
- Chronic Vertigo
- Gait Imbalance of Unknown Cause
- Meniere’s Disease
- Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (NPH)
- Superficial Siderosis
- Superior Canal Dehiscence
- Vestibular Migraine
- Vestibular Neuritis
- Vestibular Paroxysmia
More than 4 in 10 Americans will have an episode of imbalance at some point in their lives. Determining the cause and mechanism of imbalance is paramount. Therefore, we perform comprehensive testing to reach a diagnosis. Our testing capabilities include:
- Computed Tomography (CT)
- Electrocochleography (EcochG)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Tilt Table Testing
- Vestibular Myogenic Evoked Potentials (VEMP)
- Video Head Impulse Testing (vHIT)
- Videonystagonystagmography (VNG)
Whether you need medication, a repositioning procedure, a dietary change, physical therapy, or surgery, we can help. As a program of Barrow Neurological Institute, we work with a variety of experts who can provide you with the complete spectrum of care.
For patients with cerebellar ataxia, we offer a comprehensive specialty clinic and access to clinical treatment trials.
Barrow is known for its collaborative spirit across disciplines. The Neuro-Otology and Balance Disorders Program is no different. Our team of experts includes:
- Fellowship-Trained Neuro-Otologist
- Internationally Recognized Fellowship-Trained Otoneurologists
- Otoneurology Fellow
- Social Workers
- Support Staff
- Surgical Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) Specialist
- Vestibular and Balance Training Physical Therapists
- Social Workers