Summer Undergraduate Program
About Our Program
The summer undergraduate program at Barrow Neurological Institute is a paid, 10-to-12-week internship program offered to undergraduate students from all colleges and universities, nationally and internationally. Students in the program work full time in a research laboratory under the mentorship of a Barrow scientist, actively participating in groundbreaking neuroscience research using the most advanced technologies and equipment.
There are also internship positions available within the Marketing Department, Neuroscience Publications Department, and the Barrow Foundation.
Internships are available in basic science, communications, philanthropy, and disease-relevant neuroscience areas, including, but not exclusive to:
- Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Brain imaging
- Brain tumors and neuro-oncology
- Parkinson’s disease
- Neuroscience Publications
- Innovation Center
- Barrow Foundation
In addition to gaining hands on laboratory research experience, interns attend weekly research seminars, learn about career options in scientific fields, and present their research at the annual Barrow summer intern research symposium, either as an oral presentation or a scientific poster.
Interns from previous years have been able to use this internship to gain co-authorships on scientific abstracts and manuscripts, enrich their graduate and medical school applications, and foster scientific collaborations and friendships throughout their future careers.
You will need the following information when filling out your application. Please note that applications cannot be saved while in progress, so it is important that you have all of these items available before beginning the application process.
- Demographic information
- Employment eligibility
- Educational background, including overall GPA, science and math GPA, and expected graduation date
- A brief personal statement describing yourself, your career goals, your research interests, and your expectations of the program
- A brief description of any previous laboratory experience related to your desired field of work, if applicable
- A complete list of all collegiate classes taken that pertain to your desired field of work, including honors designation, grade achieved, the semester and year when the course was taken, and in the institution at which you completed the course
Hear from Past Interns
I had no lab experience coming into my internship at Barrow, and I left with not only lab skills but also a better understanding of the research process and of the various careers I can take as a STEM major. I also formed friendships with the people in my lab as well as other interns and enjoyed coming into the lab everyday!Kyle Polen
My Barrow summer internship was the best real-world experience I’ve gotten to date. The mentorship and hands-on work of the internship showed me how to apply what I’ve been learning in the classroom to cutting-edge translational research projects. I’m extremely grateful for not only a fantastic summer, but valuable experiences and connections that are driving my career in research and healthcare forward.Ashley Holtz