Alexander Tröster, PhD, is a professor of neuropsychology and chair of the Department of Clinical Neuropsychology at Barrow Neurological Institute. Dr. Tröster is board certified by the American Board of Professional Psychology in the specialty of clinical neuropsychology.
Dr. Tröster’s expertise includes movement disorders, especially Parkinson’s disease, dementia, amnesia, and neuropsychological assessment in stereotactic and functional neurosurgery. He is a fellow of the American Psychological Association, the National Academy of Neuropsychology, and a member of several other professional societies.
Dr. Tröster received his doctorate from the University of California-San Diego and San Diego State University in clinical psychology and completed his internship at Long Island Jewish Medical Center in New York State.
Dr. Tröster’s research studies include the assessment, definition, and neural bases of mild cognitive impairment in Parkinson’s disease, and the evaluation and prediction of neurobehavioral outcomes of deep brain stimulation for a variety of neurological and psychiatric conditions.
For more information or to request an appointment, please call (602) 406-3671.
- PhD, University of California-San Diego and San Diego State University, Clinical Psychology, 1991
- MS, North Dakota State University, Psychology (Behavior Therapy Track), 1986
- BScPsych, University of Zimbabwe, Harare, Zimbabwe, Psychology, 1983
- American Psychological Association & Division 40 (Clinical Neuropsychology), APA (Fellow)
- International Neuropsychological Society
- National Academy of Neuropsychology (Fellow)
- American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology
- American Academy of Neurology (Affiliate)
- Movement Disorder Society
- American Society of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery (Associate)
- World Society of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery (Associate)
- National Academy of Neuropsychology Early Career Achievement Award, 1997
- National Academy of Neuropsychology Nelson Butters Award for Research Contributions to Clinical Neuropsychology, 1993
- Christopher E. Parker Memorial Award for Outstanding Student Research, San Diego State University, 1990
- Fellowship, Epilepsy Foundation of America, 1989
- International Center Scholarship, University of California-San Diego, 1989
- American Psychological Association Travel Grant, 1988
- Fellowship, Epilepsy Foundation of America, 1988
- International Institute of Education S.T.E.P. Grant, 1988
- Phi Beta Delta, 1988
- Phi Kappa Phi, 1987
- Psi Chi, 1985
- Zimbabwe Psychological Association Prize, 1983
- University Prize, University of Zimbabwe, 1983
- University Grant, University of Zimbabwe, 1983
- University Prize, University of Zimbabwe, 1982
- Okun MS, Gallo BV, Mandybur G, Jagid J, Foote KD, Revilla FJ, Alterman R, Jankovic J, Simpson R, Junn F, Verhagen L, Arle JE, Ford B, Goodman RR, Stewart RM, Horn S, Baltuch GH, Kopell BH, Marshall F, Peichel D, Pahwa R, Lyons KE, Troster AI, Vitek JL, Tagliati M. Subthalamic deep brain stimulation with a constant-current device in Parkinson’s disease: an open-label randomised controlled trial. Lancet Neurol. Feb 2012;11(2):140-149.
- Troster AI. Deep brain stimulation and neuropsychology: a step forward? Nat Rev Neurol. Sep 2011;7(9):480-481.
- Sen S, Flynn MR, Du G, Troster AI, An H, Huang X. Manganese accumulation in the olfactory bulbs and other brain regions of “asymptomatic” welders. Toxicol Sci. May 2011;121(1):160-167.
- Raskin SA, Woods SP, Poquette AJ, McTaggart AB, Sethna J, Williams RC, Troster AI. A differential deficit in time- versus event-based prospective memory in Parkinson’s disease. Neuropsychology. Mar 2011;25(2):201-209.
- Litvan I, Aarsland D, Adler CH, Goldman JG, Kulisevsky J, Mollenhauer B, Rodriguez-Oroz MC, Troster AI, Weintraub D. MDS Task Force on mild cognitive impairment in Parkinson’s disease: critical review of PD-MCI. Mov Disord. Aug 15 2011;26(10):1814-1824.
- Dobkin RD, Menza M, Bienfait KL, Gara M, Marin H, Mark MH, Dicke A, Troster A. The impact of antidepressant treatment on cognitive functioning in depressed patients with Parkinson’s disease. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. Spring 2010;22(2):188-195.
- Chou KL, Amick MM, Brandt J, Camicioli R, Frei K, Gitelman D, Goldman J, Growdon J, Hurtig HI, Levin B, Litvan I, Marsh L, Simuni T, Troster AI, Uc EY. A recommended scale for cognitive screening in clinical trials of Parkinson’s disease. Mov Disord. Nov 15 2010;25(15):2501-2507.
- Troster AI. Neuropsychology of deep brain stimulation in neurology and psychiatry. Front Biosci. 2009;14:1857-1879.
- Troster AI. Short-term cognitive and affective outcomes after subthalamic deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease. Lancet Neurol. Jul 2008;7(7):565-567.
- Fernandez HH, Aarsland D, Fenelon G, Friedman JH, Marsh L, Troster AI, Poewe W, Rascol O, Sampaio C, Stebbins GT, Goetz CG. Scales to assess psychosis in Parkinson’s disease: Critique and recommendations. Mov Disord. Mar 15 2008;23(4):484-500.