Jeremy Shefner, MD, PhD, is chair of the Department of Neurology, professor of neurology, and senior vice president of Barrow Neurological Institute at Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix.
Dr. Shefner’s research focuses on biomarker development and the clinical therapeutics of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and spinal muscular atrophy. He co-founded the Northeast ALS Clinical Trials Consortium (NEALS), the largest and most active consortium in the world dedicated to ALS. He continues to direct the NEALS outcomes and clinical monitoring cores and is currently the principal investigator for two multicenter clinical trials, as well as a biomarker study evaluating the effectiveness of electrical impedance myography in measuring ALS disease progression.
Dr. Shefner has published approximately 200 papers in peer-reviewed journals and has served on multiple grant review panels. He has also participated in committees organized by the Institute of Medicine to investigate the relationship between military service and ALS, as well as the health effects of Agent Orange on Vietnam War veterans. In 2014, Dr. Shefner received the Sheila Essey Award for ALS Research, presented annually by the American Academy of Neurology and the ALS Association.
Dr. Shefner received his PhD in sensory physiology from the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, and his MD from Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago. He completed his residency training at the Harvard Longwood Neurology Training Program in Boston and completed a fellowship in neuromuscular disease at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.
For more information on Dr. Shefner, please call (602) 406-6262.
Fax: (602) 406-6261
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Clinical Neurophysiology, 1988-1990
- NINCDS Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, University of Illinois at Chicago, Sensory Physiology, 1977-1979
- Residency, Harvard-Longwood Neurological Training Program, Neurology, 1984-1988
- Internship, Beth Israel Hospital, Medicine, 1983-1984
- MD, Northwestern University (with distinction), 1983
- PhD, University of Illinois, Psychology, 1976
- MA, University of Illinois, Psychology, 1974
- BS, University of Illinois, Mathematics, 1972
- Founder and Co-Chair, Northeast ALS Clinical Trials Consortium (NEALS)
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Association of Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- American Neurological Association
- Best Doctors in America, Best Doctors, 2011-2016
- America’s Top Doctors, Castle Connolly, 2010-2015
- Sheila Essey Award for ALS Research, ALS Association and American Academy of Neurology, 2014
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1982
- Agosta F, Al-Chalabi A, Filippi M, Hardiman O, Kaji R, Meininger V, Nakano I, Shaw P, Shefner J, van den Berg LH, Ludolph A, ALS/MND WFNRGo. The El Escorial criteria: strengths and weaknesses. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. Mar 2015;16(1-2):1-7.
- Shefner JM, Mihaila D. Assessment of disease progression and functional benefit in neurodegenerative disease: can we tell the difference? Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. Sep 2014;15(5-6):337-343.
- Rutkove SB, Caress JB, Cartwright MS, Burns TM, Warder J, David WS, Goyal N, Maragakis NJ, Benatar M, Sharma KR, Narayanaswami P, Raynor EM, Watson ML, Shefner JM. Electrical impedance myography correlates with standard measures of ALS severity. Muscle Nerve. Mar 2014;49(3):441-443.
- Mitsumoto H, Factor-Litvak P, Andrews H, Goetz RR, Andrews L, Rabkin JG, McElhiney M, Nieves J, Santella RM, Murphy J, Hupf J, Singleton J, Merle D, Kilty M, Heitzman D, Bedlack RS, Miller RG, Katz JS, Forshew D, Barohn RJ, Sorenson EJ, Oskarsson B, Fernandes Filho JA, Kasarskis EJ, Lomen-Hoerth C, Mozaffar T, Rollins YD, Nations SP, Swenson AJ, Shefner JM, Andrews JA, Koczon-Jaremko BA, Group ACS. ALS Multicenter Cohort Study of Oxidative Stress (ALS COSMOS): study methodology, recruitment, and baseline demographic and disease characteristics. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. Jun 2014;15(3-4):192-203.
- Meininger V, Pradat PF, Corse A, Al-Sarraj S, Rix Brooks B, Caress JB, Cudkowicz M, Kolb SJ, Lange D, Leigh PN, Meyer T, Milleri S, Morrison KE, Orrell RW, Peters G, Rothstein JD, Shefner J, Lavrov A, Williams N, Overend P, Price J, Bates S, Bullman J, Krull D, Berges A, Abila B, Meno-Tetang G, Wurthner J. Safety, pharmacokinetic, and functional effects of the nogo-a monoclonal antibody in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a randomized, first-in-human clinical trial. PLoS One. 2014;9(5):e97803.
- Galpern WR, Coffey CS, Albanese A, Cheung K, Comella CL, Ecklund DJ, Fahn S, Jankovic J, Kieburtz K, Lang AE, McDermott MP, Shefner JM, Teller JK, Thompson JL, Yeatts SD, Jinnah HA. Designing clinical trials for dystonia. Neurotherapeutics. Jan 2014;11(1):117-127.
- Cudkowicz ME, Titus S, Kearney M, Yu H, Sherman A, Schoenfeld D, Hayden D, Shui A, Brooks B, Conwit R, Felsenstein D, Greenblatt DJ, Keroack M, Kissel JT, Miller R, Rosenfeld J, Rothstein JD, Simpson E, Tolkoff-Rubin N, Zinman L, Shefner JM, Ceftriaxone Study I. Safety and efficacy of ceftriaxone for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a multi-stage, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Neurol. Nov 2014;13(11):1083-1091.
- Berry JD, Cudkowicz ME, Shefner JM. Predicting success: optimizing phase II ALS trials for the transition to phase III. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. Mar 2014;15(1-2):1-8.
- Group AL, Fournier C, Bedlack B, Hardiman O, Heiman-Patterson T, Gutmann L, Bromberg M, Ostrow L, Carter G, Kabashi E, Bertorini T, Mozaffar T, Andersen P, Dietz J, Gamez J, Dimachkie M, Wang Y, Wicks P, Heywood J, Novella S, Rowland LP, Pioro E, Kinsley L, Mitchell K, Glass J, Sathornsumetee S, Kwiecinski H, Baker J, Atassi N, Forshew D, Ravits J, Conwit R, Jackson C, Sherman A, Dalton K, Tindall K, Gonzalez G, Robertson J, Phillips L, Benatar M, Sorenson E, Shoesmith C, Nash S, Maragakis N, Moore D, Caress J, Boylan K, Armon C, Grosso M, Gerecke B, Wymer J, Oskarsson B, Bowser R, Drory V, Shefner J, Lechtzin N, Leitner M, Miller R, Mitsumoto H, Levine T, Russell J, Sharma K, Saperstein D, McClusky L, MacGowan D, Licht J, Verma A, Strong M, Lomen-Hoerth C, Tandan R, Rivner M, Kolb S, Polak M, Rudnicki S, Kittrell P, Quereshi M, Sachs G, Pattee G, Weiss M, Kissel J, Goldstein J, Rothstein J, Pastula D, Gleb L, Ogino M, Rosenfeld J, Carmi E, Oster C, Barkhaus P, Valor E. ALS Untangled No. 20: the Deanna protocol. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. May 2013;14(4):319-323.
- Cudkowicz ME, van den Berg LH, Shefner JM, Mitsumoto H, Mora JS, Ludolph A, Hardiman O, Bozik ME, Ingersoll EW, Archibald D, Meyers AL, Dong Y, Farwell WR, Kerr DA, investigators E. Dexpramipexole versus placebo for patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (EMPOWER): a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial. Lancet Neurol. Nov 2013;12(11):1059-1067.