Rory Murphy, MD, is a neurosurgeon in the Department of Neurosurgery at Barrow Neurological Institute.
Dr. Murphy’s clinical practice focuses on complex cranial and spinal pathologies including tumors, spinal cord compression, and peripheral nerve surgery. He is a member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, AO Spine, the Congress of Neurosurgeons, and the AANS/CNS Section on Disorders of the Spine and Peripheral Nerves.
Dr. Murphy earned his medical degree from University College Cork in Ireland. He completed his neurosurgery residency at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, which is affiliated with Washington University in St. Louis, and a clinical fellowship in functional neurosurgery at the University of California-San Francisco.
Dr. Murphy is active in translational cervical spinal cord injury research. He is the site principal investigator for the Department of Defense Cervical Spinal Cord Injury Trial and previously served as a PI for the Missouri Spinal Cord Injury Research Program. His research has been published in Nature, Journal of Neurosurgery, Neurosurgery, and Spine.
To request an appointment with Dr. Murphy, please call (623) 562-5050.
- Fellowship, University of California-San Francisco, Functional Neurosurgery, 2016-2017
- Residency, Washington University in St. Louis, Barnes-Jewish Hospital, Neurosurgery, 2010-2016
- Basic Surgical Training, Royal College of Surgeons, 2008-2010
- Internship, Cork University Hospital, 2007-2008
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- American Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Rosenman Innovator, University of California-San Francisco, 2017
- Bay Area Falling Walls Winner, Stanford University, 2016
- Charlie Kuntz Scholar Award, American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Section on Disorders of the Spine, 2016
- Augustus McCravey Resident Award, Southern Neurological Society, 2014
- Sanford Larson Research Award, American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Section on Disorders of the Spine, 2014
- Spine Clinical Trial Proposal Award, American Association of Neurological Surgeons/Congress of Neurological Surgeons, Section on Disorders of the Spine, 2013