Terry Fife, MD, is the director of the Balance Disorders and Vestibular Neurology Program at Barrow Neurological Institute at Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix. He is board certified in both internal medicine and in neurology.
Dr. Fife specializes in disorders of balance and equilibrium including vertigo, cerebellar ataxia, chronic imbalance, hydrocephalus, recurrent falling, syncope and postural hypotension, dizziness, and nystagmus and eye movement disorders. His research interests include the diagnosis and management of vertigo and equilibrium disorders, testing of balance and vestibular function, and cerebellar ataxia.
He is the past chairman of the Neuro-Ophthalmology & Neuro-Otology Section of the American Academy of Neurology. He is a past president of the Arizona Neurological Society and serves on a number of national committees. Dr. Fife has published scholarly articles on topics related to balance disorders and is a reviewer for numerous journals on topics of balance and vertigo.
After completing medical school at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, Dr. Fife completed his internal medicine residency at the University of California-Davis and then completed neurology training at the University of California-Los Angeles (UCLA). He completed fellowship training in neuro-otology and balance disorders at UCLA on a National Institutes of Health National Research Service Award.
For more information or to request an appointment, please call (602) 406-6262.
Fax: (602) 406-6261
- Fellowship, UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine, Vestibular Neurophysiology and Neuro-otology
- Residency, UCLA, Neurology, 1989-1992
- Residency, University of California – Davis, Internal Medicine, 1986-1989
- MD, College of Medicine, Texas A&M University, 1986
- BS, University of Arizona, Chemistry, Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, magna cum laude, 1982
- Founder and Past President, Arizona Neurological Society
- Past Chairman, Neuro-ophthalmology and Neuro-Otology Section, American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
- Guideline Development Subcommittee, AAN
- Vestibular Disorders Association
- National Ataxia Foundation
- Former Board of Directors, Arizona Foundation for Medical Care
- Former Member, Committee on Graduate Education, AAN
- Former National Center for Research Resources (NCRR) Special Emphasis Panelist Reviewer, National Institutes of Health
- Fellow, American Academy of Neurology
- Fellow, American Neurotology Society
- Ad hoc reviewer: Neurology, Archives of Neurology, Brain, Annals of Neurology, Journal Vestibular Research, Otology & Neurotology, Cephalalgia, Archive of Neurology, International Journal of Audiology, Audiology & Neurotology, Journal of Neurology, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Journal of the Neurological Sciences, Journal of Neurology, Psychiatry & Neurosurgery, Annals of Family Medicine.
- Patients’ Choice Award, MDx Medical, 2009-present
- Top Doctors of North America, Castle and Connolly, 2005-present
- Honorary Commander, 56th Medical Group, Luke Air Force Base, 2004-2006
- Top Doctor, Ranking Arizona Magazine, 2005-present
- Top Doctor, Phoenix Magazine, 2000-2004, 2008, 2015
- Resident Teacher of the Year, Neurology, Barrow Neurological Institute, 1997, 2015
- America’s Best Doctors, Western United States, 1996-present
- Top Doctor, Phoenix Magazine, 1996-1998
- National Research Service Award, National Institute of Health (NINDS), 1992-1993
- Texas A&M University Academic Scholarship Award, 1984-1986
- Merck Award in Chemistry, 1982
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 1982
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, 1981
- University of Arizona Scholastic Achievement Award, 1979
- Dean’s Honor List, College of Arts and Sciences, University of Arizona, 1978-1982
- University of Arizona Honors Society, 1978-1982
- Stachler RJ, Chandrasekhar SS, Archer SM, Rosenfeld RM, Schwartz SR, Barrs DM, Brown SR, Fife TD, Ford P, Ganiats TG, Hollingsworth DB, Lewandowski CA, Montano JJ, Saunders JE, Tucci DL, Valente M, Warren BE, Yaremchuk KL, Robertson PJ.Clinical practice guideline: sudden hearing loss. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Mar 2012;146(3 Suppl):S1-35.
- Kerber KA, Burke JF, Skolarus LE, Callaghan BC, Fife TD, Baloh RW, Fendrick AM. A prescription for the Epley maneuver: www.youtube.com? Neurology. Jul 24 2012;79(4):376-380.
- Smith JH, Stovall KC, Coons S, Fife TD. Bilateral vestibular hypofunction in neurosarcoidosis: a case report. Ear Nose Throat J. Jan 2011;90(1):E1-3.
- Fife TD. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Semin Neurol. Nov 2009;29(5):500-508.
- Fife TD, Iverson DJ, Lempert T, Furman JM, Baloh RW, Tusa RJ, Hain TC, Herdman S, Morrow MJ, Gronseth GS. Practice parameter: therapies for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (an evidence-based review): report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology. May 27 2008;70(22):2067-2074.
- Bhattacharyya N, Baugh RF, Orvidas L, Barrs D, Bronston LJ, Cass S, Chalian AA, Desmond AL, Earll JM, Fife TD, Fuller DC, Judge JO, Mann NR, Rosenfeld RM, Schuring LT, Steiner RW, Whitney SL, Haidari J. Clinical practice guideline: benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Nov 2008;139(5 Suppl 4):S47-81.