Geriatric Neurology Fellowship
About Our Fellowship
The United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties (UCNS)-accredited Fellowship Program in Geriatric Neurology at Barrow Neurological Institute offers a 1- to 2-year arrangement of clinical and research training for those who have completed an adult neurology residency. The program’s goal is for trainees to develop expertise in:
- Diagnosing and treating primary central nervous system memory disorders and all forms of dementia
- Assessment and management of all aspects of dementia and memory care
- Learning techniques in basic and/or clinical research
The first year includes clinical training in dementia and memory disorders with rotations through movement disorders, neuropsychology, neuroimaging, and neuropathology. Trainees will gain both inpatient and outpatient experience. Fellows will also be involved in clinical trials.
The second year, if elected, includes a research project. The research project is usually clinical, however, laboratory experience is also available.
- The fellow must possess a current valid and unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United States or Canada or its territories.
- The fellow must be board certified or eligible for certification in a primary ABMS or RCPSC specialty (as specified by the Subspecialty).
- The fellow must have completed USMLE steps 1, 2, and 3.
Foreign medical graduates with equivalent qualifications are also eligible to apply. They must have completed all three of the USMLE examinations as well as a CSA exam and hold a valid ECFMG certificate. Our fellowship is not ACGME accredited.
We will consider applicants who have completed training in geriatrics, geriatric psychiatry, or other specialties or who wish to complete a 1-year program. This will be done on a case-by-case basis.
We are now accepting applications for academic years 2018-2019. A maximum of one fellow will be accepted per academic year.
How to Apply
- Complete Barrow Neurological Institute application
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statement or letter of interest
- Copy of medical school diploma
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters must be sent directly from letter writers (waived rights).
- Letter of good standing from current or past residency program director
- Certificate of completion from any preliminary training (i.e. PGY-1 internship) – Not needed if PGY-1 was categorical
- USMLE/COMLEX scores (Step 1, Step 2 CS, Step 2 CK, Step 3)
- ECFMG certificate (if applicable) – Foreign applicants must have ECFMG certification. We only accept J1 Visas; we do not sponsor.