Luis Tumialán, MD, is a neurosurgeon at Barrow Neurological Institute at Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix. Dr. Tumialán is board certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery.
Dr. Tumialán’s expertise includes minimally invasive spine surgery and cervical and lumbar arthroplasty.
Dr. Tumialán received his medical degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, D.C. He completed his residency at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta and served on active duty with the United States Navy as a neurosurgeon.
Please call (480) 425-8004 to request an appointment with Dr. Tumialán.
Education and Training
- Residency: Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Neurosurgery, 2008
- Internship: Naval Medical Center San Diego at Balboa, Department of Surgery, 2000
- MD, Georgetown University School of Medicine, cum laude, 1999
- MS, Georgetown University, Biophysics and Physiology, 1995
- BS, University of Missouri at Columbia, Chemistry, cum laude, 1994
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS)
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- AANS/CNS Spine Section
- Ad hoc reviewer: Spine, Neurosurgery
Honors and Awards
- United States Naval Commendation Medal, Gold Star
- United States Naval Commendation Medal
- United States Naval Expeditionary Medal
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Georgetown University School of Medicine
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of Missouri
- Suzie C. Tindall Neurosurgery Resident Achievement Award
- Clark JC, Jasmer G, Marciano FF, Tumialan LM. Minimally invasive transforaminal lumbar interbody fusions and fluoroscopy: a low-dose protocol to minimize ionizing radiation. Neurosurg Focus. Aug 2013;35(2):E8.
- Uschold TD, Fusco D, Germain R, Tumialan LM, Chang SW. Cervical and lumbar spinal arthroplasty: clinical review. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. Oct 2012;33(9):1631-1641.
- Tumialan LM, Theodore N. Basilar artery thrombosis after reduction of cervical spondyloptosis: a cautionary report. J Neurosurg Spine. May 2012;16(5):492-496.
- Tumialan LM, Ponton RP, Riccio AI, Gluf WM. Rate of return to military active duty after single level lumbar interbody fusion: a 5-year retrospective review. Neurosurgery. Aug 2012;71(2):317-324; discussion 324.
- Tumialan LM, Ponton R, Riccio AI. Arthroscopic techniques in minimally invasive spine surgery: closure of the lumbar fascia: surgical technique. Neurosurgery. Apr 2011;68(4):1092-1094; discussion 1095.
- Tumialan LM, Gluf WM. Progressive vertebral body osteolysis after cervical disc arthroplasty. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). Jun 15 2011;36(14):E973-978.
- Tumialan LM, Ponton RP, Gluf WM. Management of unilateral cervical radiculopathy in the military: the cost effectiveness of posterior cervical foraminotomy compared with anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. Neurosurg Focus. May 2010;28(5):E17.
- Tumialan LM, Ponton RP, Garvin A, Gluf WM. Arthroplasty in the military: a preliminary experience with ProDisc-C and ProDisc-L. Neurosurg Focus. May 2010;28(5):E18.
- Tumialan LM, Walkup RR, Gupta SK. Minimally invasive retrieval of a bullet from the L5-S1 neural foramina after transperitoneal gunshot wound. Spine J. Feb 2009;9(2):169-173.
- Tumialan LM, Dadashev V, Laborde DV, Gupta SK. Management of traumatic cervical spondyloptosis in a neurologically intact patient: case report. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). Sep 1 2009;34(19):E703-708.