About Barrow Second Opinion
A neurosurgical second opinion from Barrow Neurological Institute is a brief written recommendation from our team of neurosurgeons regarding your condition. Based on the information you provide, our neurosurgeons will let you know whether or not your condition would benefit from neurosurgical treatment. We charge a flat, non-refundable fee of $100 per second opinion request.
More questions? Click the accordions below to expand each section.
The cost for a neurosurgical second opinion is $100 and is non-refundable. Payment must be made by credit card at the time of submission. We do not offer any other payment options at this time.
We offer neurosurgical second opinions for the following conditions and treatments:
- Brain, spine, and spinal cord tumors
- Spine surgery
- Aneurysms, AVMs, cerebrovascular surgery, and carotid artery surgery
- Pituitary tumors
- Acoustic neuromas
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) surgery
- Metastatic brain tumors
- Peripheral nerve surgery, peripheral nerve disorders, and nerve transfer surgery
We do not offer second opinions for the following conditions or under the following circumstances:
- Any neurological condition for which neurosurgery is not a treatment option
Motor vehicle accident and workman’s compensation cases may not be able to be processed through our online second opinion program.
- Once you click on the link, you will be directed to a secure portal where you will create your account.
- You will answer an electronic questionnaire to give our physicians an understanding of your medical history and the condition you would like an opinion for.
- After filling out our brief questionnaire, we’ll direct you to a secure page where you can upload your MRI and/or CT images.
- Payment will be requested.
- Once payment is received, your case will then be sent to a coordinator who will review all of your information. The coordinator may contact you for additional information.
- After the coordinator confirms that all of the information the neurosurgeon will need to review your case has been provided, your case will be routed to the neurosurgeon that is most appropriate for your condition.
- Within 7 to 10 business days, you will receive a notification through the email you provide that your second opinion is available in the secure portal. (Please note that 7-10 business days cannot be guaranteed for submittals during peak U.S. holiday months of November and December.)
You may download, keep, and share your second opinion with whomever you like.
Barrow Neurological Institute is one of the leading neurosurgical teaching hospitals in the world. Patients and healthcare providers come from across the globe to receive care and learn from us. We know that many areas do not have the expertise that we do and understand that cost can be a large barrier to care. It is our way of helping patients get connected to a world-class neurosurgeon at a minimal cost.
There is no obligation for you to come to Barrow Neurological Institute for treatment. Your second opinion is yours to keep and share with anyone you like.
If your second opinion recommends neurosurgery, and you decide to come to Barrow Neurological Institute for treatment, you will be treated by the neurosurgeon who reviewed your case. If you decide to come here, simply let our Second Opinion Program coordinator know. This person will assist with appointment scheduling, travel resources, insurance verification, and financial concerns.
No. There are a few rules:
- You must have been diagnosed with one of the conditions listed above.
- Your imaging must be related to your condition, meet requested requirements, and have been taken in the past 6 months.
- You must already have been diagnosed by a physician for the condition submitted. We will not diagnose your condition.
All records and information must be submitted in English. Barrow Neurological Institute will not translate these materials.
You must be 18 years of age or older to submit a neurosurgical second opinion.
You may submit a case for a child as long as the child is 14 years of age or older. We may make some exceptions based on special situations. Email BarrowSecondOpinion@DignityHealth.org with questions.
Once you have submitted all of the required documentation and imaging, your second opinion will be available in 7 to 10 business days.
Please note that 7-10 business days cannot be guaranteed for submittals during peak U.S. holiday months of November and December.
No. We will not contact your physician. We do recommend, however, that you share the recommendation with him or her so that he/she is a part of your care.
Yes. If your doctor submits the case on your behalf, there is no charge. To do this, please provide your doctor’s office with a link to our physician-to-physician Second Opinion portal. We will need to verify your doctor’s identity prior to processing your case.
You will need to contact your insurance carrier for more information. We do not bill insurance companies directly for Second Opinion. You will be responsible for submitting any requests to your insurance company for reimbursement.
Please note that motor vehicle accident and workman’s compensation cases may not be able to be processed through our online second opinion program.
No. Receiving a neurosurgical second opinion does not make you a patient of Barrow Neurological Institute. In order to become a patient, you must make an appointment and be seen in our offices. If you have received a neurosurgical second opinion and would like to be seen at Barrow Neurological Institute, please call (602) 406-3396.