David Fusco, MD, graduated magna cum laude with a bachelor of arts in chemistry from Harvard University, Boston, in 2000. He received his doctor of medicine from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City in 2007. While at Columbia, he completed the Doris Duke Clinical Research Fellowship. During his residency at Barrow Neurological Institute, Dr. Fusco completed infolded fellowships in complex spinal surgery, minimally invasive spinal surgery, pediatric deformity and scoliosis surgery, endoscopic and skull base surgery, and stereotactic radiosurgery.
Dr. Fusco has published more than 25 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters and presented at several neurosurgical conferences at the state and national levels. He has received multiple awards for research presentations and was honored on several occasions for his dedication to resident education.
Dr. Fusco treats patients with complex and simple cranial and spinal disorders, utilizing the latest in surgical techniques and instrumentation. He often employs minimally invasive approaches. He strongly believes that patients who have a thorough understanding of their medical condition are able to make the best possible decision in collaboration with their healthcare provider.
Dr. Fusco was born and raised in the New York City area. His hobbies include tennis, downhill skiing, hiking, cycling, and traveling.
Please call (480) 917-5600 to request an appointment with Dr. Fusco.
Education, Training, and Previous Positions
- Fellowship, Pediatric Deformity and Scoliosis Surgery, Miami Children’s Hospital, 2013
- Fellowship, Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, 2013
- Fellowship, Vascular and Skull Base Surgery, Scottsdale Osborn Medical Center, 2012
- Fellowship, Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery, Scottsdale Osborn Medical Center, 2012
- Fellowship, Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, 2011
- Fellowship, Complex Spinal Neurosurgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, 2010
- Residency, Barrow Neurological Institute, Neurosurgery, 2007-2014
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 2007
- BA, Harvard University, Chemistry, magna cum laude, 2000
Selected Professional Memberships and Appointments
- American Medical Association
- North American Spine Society
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
Selected Honors and Awards
- Academic Excellence Day, 1st Place Oral Presentation for Research, Barrow Neurological Institute, 2012
- American College of Surgeons Resident Award for Exemplary Teaching Nominee, Barrow Neurological Institute, 2011
- North American Spine Society Resident Travel Scholarship, 2010
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Columbia University, 2007
- W. Graham Knox, MD Scholarship, Columbia University, 2006
- 1st Place Poster Presentation, 25th Annual AMS Medical Student Research Program, Columbia University, 2006
- 1st Place Oral Presentation, 56th Annual AMSA Convention, Columbia University, 2006
- Alpha Omega Alpha Carolyn L. Kuckein Student Research Fellowship Grant, Columbia University, 2006
- Doris Duke Clinical Research Fellowship, Columbia University, 2005
- John Harvard College Scholarship, Harvard University, 1997
- Dean’s List, Harvard University, 1996-2000
- Yanamadala V, Williamson RW, Fusco DJ, Eschbacher J, Weisskopf P, Porter RW. Malignant transformation of a vestibular schwannoma after gamma knife radiosurgery. World Neurosurg. Mar-Apr 2013;79(3-4):593 e591-598.
- Wilson DA, Fusco DJ, Wait SD, Nakaji P. Endoscopic resection of colloid cysts: use of a dual-instrument technique and an anterolateral approach. World Neurosurg. Nov 2013;80(5):576-583.
- Uschold T, Panchmatia J, Fusco DJ, Abla AA, Porter RW, Theodore N. Subaxial cervical juxtafacet cysts: single institution surgical experience and literature review. Acta Neurochir (Wien). Feb 2013;155(2):299-308.
- Fusco DJ, Jermakowicz WJ, Consiglieri GD, Spetzler RF. Long-term clinical and radiographic stability after clip reconstruction of a midbasilar dissecting mycotic aneurysm. World Neurosurg. May-Jun 2013;79(5-6):798 E797-711.
- Almefty RO, Tyree TL, Fusco DJ, Coons SW, Nakaji P. Primary histiocytic sarcoma of the brain mimicking cerebral abscess. J Neurosurg Pediatr. Sep 2013;12(3):251-257.
- Wilson DA, Nakaji P, Abla AA, Uschold TD, Fusco DJ, Oppenlander ME, Albuquerque FC, McDougall CG, Zabramski JM, Spetzler RF. A simple and quantitative method to predict symptomatic vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage based on computed tomography: beyond the Fisher scale. Neurosurgery. Oct 2012;71(4):869-875.
- Wilson DA, Fusco DJ, Uschold TD, Spetzler RF, Chang SW. Survival and functional outcome after surgical resection of intramedullary spinal cord metastases. World Neurosurg. Feb 2012;77(2):370-374.
- Fusco DJ, Asteraki S, Spetzler RF. Eagle’s syndrome: embryology, anatomy, and clinical management. Acta Neurochir (Wien). Jul 2012;154(7):1119-1126.
- Wilson DA, Fusco DJ, Theodore N. Delayed subarachnoid hemorrhage following failed odontoid screw fixation. J Neurosurg Spine. Jun 2011;14(6):715-718.
- Uschold TD1, Fusco D, Germain R, Tumialan LM, Chang SW. Cervical and lumbar spinal arthroplasty: clinical review. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2012 Oct;33(9):1631-41.