Growing up, Steve Chang, MD, always wanted to be either a teacher or a doctor. Fortunately for Barrow and our patients, he chose to do both. At Barrow Neurological Institute at Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, Dr. Chang instructs and mentors neurosurgery residents and sees patients with spinal disorders and brain tumors.
Growing up in North Carolina, Dr. Chang attended Duke University in Durham and went on to earn his MD at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. He completed his internship in surgery at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center (now called Banner University Medical Center) in Phoenix. The next years were spent at Barrow Neurological Institute where he completing his neurosurgery residency and fellowships in skull base/cerebrovascular and complex spinal neurosurgery.
His interest is in caring for patients with complex spine and brain disorders, and working with them as a team to restore their lives. He believes in treating each patient as he would his own family members.
Dr. Chang’s nonmedical interests include hiking, tennis, and spending time with his family.
Please call (602) 406-3181 to request an appointment with Dr. Chang.
- Fellowship, Barrow Neurological Institute, Skull Base Surgery, 2008
- Fellowship, Barrow Neurological Institute, Cerebrovascular Surgery, 2008
- Fellowship, Barrow Neurological Institute, Complex Spinal Neurosurgery, 2006
- Residency, Barrow Neurological Institute, Neurosurgery, 2004-2009
- Integrated Surgical Residency, Banner Good Samaritan Hospital,2003
- MD, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 2002
- BS with honors and distinction, Duke University, Biology, 1997
- Merit Grant for Continued Medical Education, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, National Institutes of Health Research Scholars Program, 2001-2002
- AOA Medical Honor Society, 2001
- Cloister Program Research Scholar, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, National Institutes of Health Research Scholars Program, 2000-2001
- UNC Student Merit Award, 1998
- NIH Summer Oncology Fellowship, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, 1998
- Howard Hughes Fellowship for Undergraduate Research, 1995-1996
- Duke University Undergraduate Research Support Grant, 1995-1996
- Perez-Orribo L, Kalb S, Reyes PM, Chang SW, Crawford NR. Biomechanics of lumbar cortical screw-rod fixation versus pedicle screw-rod fixation with and without interbody support. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). Apr 15 2013;38(8):635-641.
- Wilson DA, Fusco DJ, Uschold TD, Spetzler RF, Chang SW. Survival and functional outcome after surgical resection of intramedullary spinal cord metastases. World Neurosurg. Feb 2012;77(2):370-374.
- Mortazavi M, Gore PA, Chang S, Tubbs RS, Theodore N. Pediatric cervical spine injuries: a comprehensive review. Childs Nerv Syst. May 2011;27(5):705-717.
- Kucia EJ, Bambakidis NC, Chang SW, Spetzler RF. Surgical technique and outcomes in the treatment of spinal cord ependymomas, part 1: intramedullary ependymomas. Neurosurgery. Mar 2011;68(1 Suppl Operative):57-63; discussion 63.
- Wu A, Chang SW, Deshmukh P, Spetzler RF, Preul MC. Through the choroidal fissure: a quantitative anatomic comparison of 2 incisions and trajectories (transsylvian transchoroidal and lateral transtemporal). Neurosurgery. Jun 2010;66(6 Suppl Operative):221-228; discussion 228-229.
- Killory BD, Chang SW, Wait SD, Spetzler RF. Use of flexible hollow-core CO2 laser in microsurgical resection of CNS lesions: early surgical experience. Neurosurgery. Jun 2010;66(6):1187-1192.
- Kakarla UK, Beres EJ, Ponce FA, Chang SW, Deshmukh VR, Bambakidis NC, Zabramski JM, Spetzler RF. Microsurgical treatment of pediatric intracranial aneurysms: long-term angiographic and clinical outcomes. Neurosurgery. Aug 2010;67(2):237-249; discussion 250.
- Chang SW, Kakarla UK, Maughan PH, DeSanto J, Fox D, Theodore N, Dickman CA, Papadopoulos S, Sonntag VK. Four-level anterior cervical discectomy and fusion with plate fixation: radiographic and clinical results. Neurosurgery. Apr 2010;66(4):639-646; discussion 646-637.
- Chang SW, Abla AA, Kakarla UK, Sauvageau E, Dashti SR, Nakaji P, Zabramski JM, Albuquerque FC, McDougall CG, Spetzler RF. Treatment of distal posterior cerebral artery aneurysms: a critical appraisal of the occipital artery-to-posterior cerebral artery bypass. Neurosurgery. Jul 2010;67(1):16-25; discussion 25-16.
- Abla AA, Shetter AG, Chang SW, Wait SD, Brachman DG, Ng YT, Rekate HL, Kerrigan JF. Gamma Knife surgery for hypothalamic hamartomas and epilepsy: patient selection and outcomes. J Neurosurg. Dec 2010;113 Suppl:207-214.