Barrow Concussion Network
Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, the Arizona Interscholastic Association (AIA), the Arizona Cardinals, the Brain Injury Alliance of Arizona, AT Still University, and Arizona State University have united to address mild traumatic brain injury (concussion) in student athletes throughout the State of Arizona.
Through the Barrow Concussion Network, these distinguished organizations share their medical, educational, and athletic expertise in concussion with each other. In turn, we team to perform education and research to understand the incidence, risk factors, and differences in care for concussion patients in the state.
The organizations of the Barrow Concussion Network recognize the powerful need for statewide programs that any student can turn to for education and care regardless of their location. We believe that a consortium of expertise and experience are a key factor in stemming the rising tide of youth concussions.
The Barrow Concussion Network has
- Educated over 150,000 high school athletes in the state of Arizona.
- Brought about changes in attitudes toward concussion in high school athletes.
- Provided computerized concussion baseline testing for all high school athletes in Arizona.
- Created a culture of safety in sports participation.
The Barrow Concussion Network will
- Investigate the epidemiology of sports concussion for student athletes throughout the United States.
- Identify risk factors for concussion in student athletes.
- Recognize regional differences in concussion management.
- Establish a network of care for student athletes suffering from concussion.
- Create a research platform for understanding the mechanisms and outcomes of concussion.
ImPACT Testing and Consultation
The Barrow Concussion Network provides AIA-member schools access to computerized assessment tools (ImPACT), statewide concussion research, and free concussion consultation. We accommodate schools all over the state by using advanced telemedicine to provide access to Barrow’s concussion experts in Phoenix. Learn more about ImPACT Testing.
Join the Barrow Concussion Network
Athletic trainers in Arizona can request access to the Barrow Concussion Network by emailing BCN@BarrowNeuro.org. Please provide your full name, the name of your school(s) of employment, and your contact phone number. You will receive an email invitation into the Barrow Concussion Network AND an email giving access to ImPACT (for AIA eligible schools).
Barrow Concussion Network