Andrew Ducruet, MD, is an endovascular neurosurgeon at Barrow Neurological Institute at Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix. He is board certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery.
Dr. Ducruet’s practice is focused on the use of minimally invasive endovascular techniques to treat patients with vascular disease of the brain and spinal cord. He is an active member of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, and the Society of Neurointerventional Surgery.
Dr. Ducruet attended Princeton University and graduated magna cum laude with a degree in chemistry. He received his medical degree from Columbia University’s College of Physicians & Surgeons in New York City and also completed his residency in neurosurgery at Columbia University Medical Center. He then completed a two-year postgraduate fellowship in endovascular neurosurgery at Barrow. Dr. Ducruet practiced for three years as an assistant professor of neurosurgery at the University of Pittsburgh before returning to Barrow.
Dr. Ducruet’s research focuses on ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke. His laboratory performs basic and translational research using experimental models of cerebral ischemia, with the ultimate goal of developing novel therapeutic strategies for patients with stroke. Dr. Ducruet also performs clinical research and has served as a principal investigator of multiple clinical trials investigating new strategies for stroke treatment.
For more information or to request an appointment, please call (602) 406-3181.
- Fellowship, Barrow Neurological Institute, Endovascular Surgical Neuroradiology, 2011-2013
- Residency, Neurological Institute of New York, Columbia University Medical Center, Neurosurgery, 2005-2011
- Internship, New York Presbyterian Hospital, Columbia University Medical Center, Surgery, 2004-2005
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 2004
- BS, Princeton University, Chemistry
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Society of Neurointerventional Surgery
- Neurosurgeon Research Career Development Program Award, National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Stroke, 2014
- Honorable Mention, Academy Award, American Academy of Neurological Surgery, 2010
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, 2004
- Outstanding Neuroscience Presentation and 1st Place Clinical Science Poster Presentation, 29th Annual American Medical Association Foundation Eastern Atlantic Student Research Forum, 2003
- Rudin Scholar in the Faculty of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, 2001-2002
- Elected to Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society, 1999
- Zhao XJ, Larkin TM, Lauver MA, Ahmad S, Ducruet AF. Tissue plasminogen activator mediates deleterious complement cascade activation in stroke. PLoS One. 2017;12(7):e0180822.
- Weiner GM, Ozpinar A, Ducruet AF. The Role of Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 in Subarachnoid Hemorrhage-Induced White Matter Injury. Neurosurgery. Feb 2016;78(2):N11-12.
- Reznik ME, Espinosa-Morales AD, Jumaa MA, Zaidi S, Ducruet AF, Jadhav AP. Endovascular thrombectomy in the setting of aortic dissection. J Neurointerv Surg. May 19 2016.
- Ozpinar A, Weiner GM, Ducruet AF. Targeting MicroRNA to Enhance Poststroke Recovery. Neurosurgery. Jun 2016;78(6):N23.
- McDowell MM, Feroze RA, Ducruet AF. Pipeline Embolization Device: Long-Term Outcome Data Flows In. World Neurosurg. Jan 2016;85:6-7.
- Levitt MR, Albuquerque FC, Gross BA, Moon K, Jadhav AP, Ducruet AF, Crowley RW. Venous sinus stenting in patients without idiopathic intracranial hypertension. J Neurointerv Surg. May 19 2016.
- Levitt MR, Albuquerque FC, Ducruet AF, Kalani MY, Mulholland CB, McDougall CG. Venous sinus stenting for idiopathic intracranial hypertension is not associated with cortical venous occlusion. J Neurointerv Surg. Jun 2016;8(6):594-595.
- Jadhav AP, Ducruet AF, Jankowitz BT, Jovin TG. Management of Bilateral Carotid Occlusive Disease. Interv Neurol. Mar 2016;4(3-4):96-103.
- Chen T, Kalani MY, Ducruet AF, Albuquerque FC, McDougall CG. Development of syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH) after Onyx embolisation of a cavernous carotid fistula. BMJ Case Rep. 2016;2016.
- Almefty RO, Kalani MY, Ducruet AF, Crowley RW, McDougall CG, Albuquerque FC. Middle meningeal arteriovenous fistulas: A rare and potentially high-risk dural arteriovenous fistula. Surg Neurol Int. 2016;7(Suppl 9):S219-222.