An honors student at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, Kris Smith, MD, went on to graduate first in his class at the University of Nevada Reno School of Medicine receiving the outstanding student award in neuroscience, basic science research, and psychiatry.
He completed a general surgery internship at the Phoenix Integrated Surgical Residency Program at Banner University Medical Center and completed his neurosurgical residency at Barrow Neurological Institute at Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix. Dr. Kris Smith trained in Gamma Knife radiosurgery at the University of Pittsburgh and at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden, where stereotactic radiosurgery was originally developed. He also studied under L. Dade Lunsford, MD, at the University of Pittsburgh.
Dr. Smith specializes in the comprehensive management of brain tumors and the surgical treatment of epilepsy. He uses advanced techniques including stereotaxy, endoscopy, computer-image guidance, brain mapping, deep brain stimulation (DBS), depth and grid electrodes, and Gamma Knife radiosurgery. He emphasizes minimally invasive surgical approaches, which decrease patient discomfort and the risks of complications. However, he strongly believes in aggressive surgical resection of tumors and epileptogenic lesions. Dr. Smith is certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery.
Please call (480) 861-1392 to request an appointment with Dr. Smith.
Fax: (602) 406-6398
- Residency, Barrow Neurological Institute, Neurosurgery, 1990-1996
- General Surgery Internship, Phoenix Integrated Surgical Residency Program, 1989-1990
- MD, University of Nevada School of Medicine, 1989
- BS, Brigham Young University, 1984
- American Medical Association
- American Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
- Arizona Foundation for Medical Care
- Joint Section on Tumors, AANS & CNS
- Joint Section on Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, AANS & CNS
- Maricopa County Medical Society
- North American Skull Base Society
- Rocky Mountain Neurosurgical Society
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Treasurer, Arizona Neurosurgical Society
- Academy Cup, Rocky Mountain Neurosurgical Society, Best Scientific Presentation, 2008
- Resident Award, Rocky Mountain Neurosurgical Society and American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 1995
- General Surgery Internship, Phoenix Integrated Surgical Residency Program, 1990
- Diplomat of the American Board of Medical Examiners, Passed Part III of National Boards, 1990
- Overall Excellence in Psychiatry, 1989
- Outstanding Student in Neurosciences, 1989
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1989
- Outstanding Student in Behavioral Science, 1987
- Research Convocation Award for Best Student Research Presentation, 1987
- Smith KA, Ashby LS, Gonzalez LF, Brachman DG, Thomas T, Coons SW, Battaglia M, Scheck A. Prospective trial of gross-total resection with Gliadel wafers followed by early postoperative Gamma Knife radiosurgery and conformal fractionated radiotherapy as the initial treatment for patients with radiographically suspected, newly diagnosed glioblastoma multiforme. J Neurosurg. Dec 2008;109 Suppl:106-117.
- Horn EM, Feiz-Erfan I, Bristol RE, Lekovic GP, Goslar PW, Smith KA, Nakaji P, Spetzler RF. Treatment options for third ventricular colloid cysts: comparison of open microsurgical versus endoscopic resection. Neurosurgery. Apr 2007;60(4):613-618; discussion 618-620.
- Bristol RE, Gore P, Treiman D, Smith KA. Resolution of Status Epilepticus after Subdural Gride Recording and Multiple Subpial Transections. Barrow Quarterly. 2006;22(2):8-11.
- Lekovic GP, Smith KA, Feiz-Erfan I, Porter RW, Biggs C, Shetter AG. Radiosurgery of Jugular Foramen Tumors. Operative Techniques in Neurosurgery. 2005;8(1):54-60.
- Wu J, Ellsworth K, Ellsworth M, Schroeder KM, Smith K, Fisher RS. Abnormal benzodiazepine and zinc modulation of GABAA receptors in an acquired absence epilepsy model. Brain Res. Jul 9 2004;1013(2):230-240.
- Deshmukh VR, Smith KA, Rekate HL, Coons S, Spetzler RF. Diagnosis and management of pineocytomas. Neurosurgery. Aug 2004;55(2):349-355; discussion 355-347.
- Javedan SP, Manwaring K, Smith KA. Treatment of posterior third ventricular central neurocytoma with endoscopic biopsy, endoscopic third ventriculostomy and stereotactic radiosurgery. Minim Invasive Neurosurg. Jun 2003;46(3):165-168.
- Baev KV, Greene KA, Marciano FF, Samanta JE, Shetter AG, Smith KA, Stacy MA, Spetzler RF. Physiology and pathophysiology of cortico-basal ganglia-thalamocortical loops: theoretical and practical aspects. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. May 2002;26(4):771-804.
- Smith KA, Spetzler RF. Supratentorial-infraoccipital approach for posteromedial temporal lobe lesions. J Neurosurg. Jun 1995;82(6):940-944.