Igor Barani, MD, is an associate professor and chair of the Department of Radiation Oncology at Barrow Neurological Institute. He is a board-certified in radiation oncology by the American Board of Radiology.
Dr. Barani specializes in the treatment of brain and spine tumors and in the applications of radiosurgery and stereotactic body radiotherapy, intensity-modulated radiation therapy, and brachytherapy. He is a member of the American Board of Radiology, American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Society for Radiation Oncology, Radiological Society of North America, and Society for Neuro-Oncology.
Dr. Barani was on faculty in the Radiation Oncology Department at the University of California-San Francisco (UCSF) for nearly 10 years. He served there as vice-chair and director of clinical research from 2010 until 2015. Dr. Barani earned his medical degree from State University of New York (SUNY) Upstate Medical University. He completed his residency in radiation oncology at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine and a research fellowship at Howard Hughes Medical Institute at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Dr. Barani is also a director of the Barrow Artificial Intelligence Center (BAIC), where is he is exploring various applications of big data analytics and artificial intelligence to improve patient outcomes. He previously held the position of CEO and chief medical officer (CMO) at an award-winning artificial intelligence company in the San Francisco Bay Area. Dr. Barani is using this experience to scale the benefits of this novel technology across the entire Dignity Health Enterprise.
- Residency, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, Radiation Oncology, 2004-2008
- Internship, Yale New Haven Medical Center, Hospital of St. Raphael, 2003-2004
- MD, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, College of Medicine, 2003
- Research Fellowship, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 2000-2001
- BS, Syracuse University, Chemistry, 1994-1998
- American Board of Radiology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Society for Radiation Oncology
- Radiological Society of North America
- Society of Neuro-Oncology
- Board Examiner, American Board of Radiology, 2015
- Top Doctor, Castle Connolly, 2014
- Diane D. Ralston Clinical and Basic Neuroscience Teaching Award, University of California – San Francisco, Department of Neurological Surgery, 2012
- Patients’ Choice Award, University of California, San Francisco, 2011
- Lawrence Margolis Lifetime Teaching Award, University of California, San Francisco, Department of Radiation Oncology, 2009
- Roentgen Resident Research Award, Radiological Society of North America, 2006
- Resident Seed Grant, American Society for Radiation Oncology, 2005
- Awardee, Holman Research Pathway in Radiation Oncology, American Board of Radiology, 2005
- Intern of the Year, Yale New Haven Medical Center, Hospital of St. Raphael, 2004
- Continued Support for Completion of Medical Studies, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 2001
- Research Grant, Research to Prevent Blindness, 2000
- Redmond KJ, Lo SS, Soltys SG, Yamada Y, Barani IJ, Brown PD, Chang EL, Gerszten PC, Chao ST, Amdur RJ, De Salles AA, Guckenberger M, Teh BS, Sheehan J, Kersh CR, Fehlings MG, Sohn MJ, Chang UK, Ryu S, Gibbs IC, Sahgal A. Consensus guidelines for postoperative stereotactic body radiation therapy for spinal metastases: results of an international survey. J Neurosurg Spine. 2017;26(3):299-306.
- Garcia MA, Lazar A, Duriseti S, Raleigh DR, Hess CP, Fogh SE, Barani IJ, Nakamura JL, Larson DA, Theodosopoulos P, McDermott M, Sneed PK, Braunstein S. Discovery of additional brain metastases on the day of stereotactic radiosurgery: risk factors and outcomes. J Neurosurg. 2017;126(6):1756-1763.
- Vaubel RA, Chen SG, Raleigh DR, Link MJ, Chicoine MR, Barani I, Jenkins SM, Aleff PA, Rodriguez FJ, Burger PC, Dahiya S, Perry A, Giannini C. Meningiomas with rhabdoid features lacking other histologic features of malignancy: a study of 44 cases and review of the literature. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2016;75(1):44-52.
- Rogers CL, Perry A, Pugh S, Vogelbaum MA, Brachman D, McMillan W, Jenrette J, Barani I, Shrieve D, Sloan A, Bovi J, Kwok Y, Burri SH, Chao ST, Spalding AC, Anscher MS, Bloom B, Mehta M. Pathology concordance levels for meningioma classification and grading in NRG Oncology RTOG Trial 0539. Neuro Oncol. 2016;18(4):565-574.
- Roach M, 3rd, Schulte R, Mishra K, Faddegon B, Barani I, Lazar A, Blakely EA. New clinical and research programs in particle beam radiation therapy: the University of California San Francisco perspective. Int J Part Ther. 2016;2(3):471-473.
- Held M, Cremers F, Sneed PK, Braunstein S, Fogh SE, Nakamura J, Barani I, Perez-Andujar A, Pouliot J, Morin O. Assessment of image quality and dose calculation accuracy on kV CBCT, MV CBCT, and MV CT images for urgent palliative radiotherapy treatments. J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2016;17(2):6040.
- Han SJ, Reis G, Kohanbash G, Shrivastav S, Magill ST, Molinaro AM, McDermott MW, Theodosopoulos PV, Aghi MK, Berger MS, Butowski NA, Barani I, Phillips JJ, Perry A, Okada H. Expression and prognostic impact of immune modulatory molecule PD-L1 in meningioma. J Neurooncol. 2016;130(3):543-552.
- Chang JS, Perez-Andujar A, Barani IJ, Ma L, Larson DA. Estimating the probability of underdosing microscopic brain metastases with hippocampal-sparing whole-brain radiation. Radiother Oncol. 2016;120(2):248-252.
- Chang JS, Ma L, Barani IJ, McDermott MW, Sneed PK, Larson DA. Hippocampal dose with radiosurgery for multiple intracranial targets: the rationale for proactive beam shaping. Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2016;15(4):555-559.
- Seymour ZA, Fogh SE, Westcott SK, Braunstein S, Larson DA, Barani IJ, Nakamura J, Sneed PK. Interval from imaging to treatment delivery in the radiation surgery age: how long is too long? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2015;93(1):126-132.