Muhammad Ali Legacy Care Program
Lonnie Ali’s vision for the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center is to offer all patients the same level of personalized care that Muhammad Ali received himself. We created the Legacy Care Program to provide compassionate, patient-centered palliative care to people living with advancing Parkinson’s disease and related disorders.
The palliative care team is here to make life easier for patients and caregivers as the patient’s disease progresses and care needs increase. We focus on advanced care planning, in which we encourage the patient and caregiver to make decisions about care that may be needed in later stages of the disease. We have found that having these conversations ahead of time leads to better outcomes for both the patient and the caregiver.
Palliative care is focused on providing relief for the “whole person.” This means not only treating the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease but also addressing the emotional, psychosocial, practical, cultural, and spiritual aspects of the patient’s life.
The Legacy Care Program will achieve this mission by:
- Offering a palliative care clinic at the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center, where patients have access to experts in movement disorders and neuro-rehabilitation and caregivers have access to resources.
- Offering home visits to provide medical direction, education, and care coordination for eligible patients with mobility and travel challenges, along with training and social work support for their caregivers.
- Allowing patients to communicate with their physicians remotely via telecommunications technology (telemedicine).
- Offering patients, caregivers, and the greater Parkinson’s community access to online tools to help improve quality of life, such as lectures, trainings, support groups, and exercise classes.
- Gathering research metrics to provide the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Center with the data needed to fully understand the impact of advanced care and caregiver strain.
We strive to ensure our patients maintain their dignity, independence, and quality of life throughout their care. Whether you are a patient or caregiver, we are committed to helping you navigate your way through this very personalized journey, reminding you that you are never alone.
E-mail: [email protected]
Jennifer Armfield, Nurse Practitioner
Sabrina Flowers, RN
Claudia Martinez, Spanish Coordinator
Erin Reiser, Administrative Coordinator